Deciding between a mesh or leather office chair is largely a matter of personal preference. Mesh chairs are airier and provide better lumbar support than leather models, while leather chairs have a more luxurious feel.
However, there are a few key things to keep in mind when making your decision. Here are the pros and cons of mesh and leather office chairs.
Pros of Mesh Office Chairs
- They’re breathable. The open weave of mesh allows for air circulation, which keeps you cool even on hot summer days.
- They offer excellent lumbar support. The contoured backrests of most mesh chairs provide support for your lower back, which helps to reduce pain and fatigue.
- They’re lightweight and easy to move around. If you need to adjust your position often, a mesh chair is the way to go.
- They’re generally more affordable than leather office chairs.
Cons of Mesh Office Chairs
- They’re not as sturdy as leather chairs. If you’re looking for a chair that will last for years, mesh may not be the right material.
- They can be less comfortable in cold weather. Since they’re not as well insulated as leather chairs, mesh chairs can feel chilly in wintertime offices.
- They might not have the same luxurious feel as a leather chair. If you’re looking for an executive-style chair with a high price tag, mesh probably isn’t the way to go.
Pros of Leather Office Chairs
- They’re stylish and professional-looking. A well-made leather chair can add an air of sophistication to your office space.
- They’re durable. With proper care, a leather chair can last for years—or even decades!
- They get more comfortable with age. As leather breaks in, it becomes softer and more pliable, molding to your body over time.
-They’re generally easy to care for. A quick wipe-down with a damp cloth is usually all it takes to keep a leather chair clean.
Cons of Leather Office Chairs
- They can be expensive. A high-quality leather chair might cost several hundred dollars—or even more!
- They can be hot in summertime weather conditions. If you live in a warm climate or don’t have air conditioning in your office, a leather chair might not be the best choice during the dog days of summer.
Ultimately, the decision between a mesh or leather office chair is up to the consumer. There are pros and cons to both types of chairs, so it’s important to decide what matters most to you before making your purchase.
85% of people opt for mesh chairs over leather ones, but ultimately it is up to the individual consumer to decide what works best for them and their budget.